Last Updated on September 11, 2022 by Ellen Christian
Check out these tips to pack for the beach in no time at all. Don’t forget any of these must-have beach essentials when you leave.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
White sand, warm sun, and an ice-cold drink, and you are all set for a day at the beach. Or, are you? What do you need to bring along with you to the beach besides your swimsuit, a towel, and a good book?
How to Pack for the Beach
Leaving the house unprepared can turn a relaxing day at the beach into a nightmare. I get very few afternoons out alone so I like to be prepared when I do manage to steal away for a few quiet minutes.
When I head to the beach, I go for a few hours or an afternoon. My essentials are the things that I need to have with me for a brief stay. If you’ll be spending the weekend or going on vacation for a week or two, your needs will be different.
What should I pack to go to the beach?
- A beach bag – I generally choose a straw beach bag because they are often waterproof or dry quickly. If you prefer to use a cloth beach bag, that’s fine too. Just make sure that it is quick-drying. Heat and water often result in mold and mildew and you won’t want your beach bag ruined.
- Sunscreen – Protect your skin with sunscreen that is free from chemicals. I generally look for sunscreen with at least an SPF 45 because I burn easily. If you’ll be in the water, look for a sunscreen that is also waterproof. I prefer to sit on the beach with a book.
- Lip balm – Don’t forget to protect your lips. Keep them soft and kissable with this lip balm that contains SPF to prevent burning.
- Sea salt spray – I love the way sea salt spray lightens my hair. I always bring some along to the beach with me. It does a great job.
- Sunglasses – You cannot buy sunscreen on your eyes but you absolutely must protect them. I have the beginning stages of cataracts so I do not go out in the sun ever without sunglasses.
- A beach towel – I love laying on my towel or my beach chair in the shade with a book. I’m not really all about tanning but I do love relaxing. I want an extra-long beach towel for comfort. Beach blankets work as well especially if you aren’t alone.
Beach essentials for relaxing
If you’re wondering how to pack for the beach, don’t forget these things if you’re bringing along the kids.
- Wet bag – To store wet towels and wet bathing suits, a waterproof wet bag is very helpful. The wet bag keeps your wet items from getting your beach bag or car wet. If you plan on changing there, be sure to bring a change of clothes.
- Insulated tumbler – I hate warm drinks. Bring your favorite drink from home in an insulated tumbler to be sure that it stays cold. Just make sure that it’s not breakable as many beaches prohibit glass.
- Flip flops or sandals – Sand can get very hot. Be sure to pack your favorite flip-flops or sandals to protect your feet.
Now that you know how to pack for the beach, you may want to learn how to choose the right swimsuit for a small bust or for a pear-shaped body.
What do you bring to the beach when you go?
More beach articles
Now that you know what to pack for the beach, check out these articles.
- Get your skin beach-ready
- Best beach party outfit
- Protect your skin at the beach
- What to pack for a weekend trip
- Clothes for a pear shaped body
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes you can feel beautiful at any age and any size. She shares healthy, realistic beauty and fashion information geared toward women over 40. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.
2 thoughts on “How to Pack For the Beach like a Pro”
I always forget to bring some sort of head covering- My scalp gets fried! These are all great tips, especially the reminder for lip balm!
Glad to help, Jenna. Definitely a hat and lip balm are essential!