Last Updated on December 29, 2017 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
“A woman’s dress should be a like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.” —Sophia Loren
If there is one wardrobe staple every woman needs to have, it’s a little black dress. A little black dress is a timeless look that can be worn by every woman no matter her age or size. It’s acceptable at a business function, a funeral or a holiday party. There are ways to dress up the little black dress for every occasion.
10 Ways to Dress Up the Little Black Dress
While a little black dress is a staple, it can always use a bit of glam to dress it up. How you choose to dress it up will depend on your style and the function you’re attending. With the holidays only a month or so away, it’s time to consider what you’ll be wearing. One of the most important things you can do is to be certain your wardrobe has basics you can build on.
- Choose shoes with a bit of sparkle. Diamonds, rhinestones, studs or sequins. The final look is up to you. I’m partial to these Ninah Crystah Evening Pumps
- Add a statement necklace. I prefer one with a bit of sparkle like this Giani Bernini. If you prefer, choose earrings or a ring.
- Wear a tiara or sparkly headband. Every woman deserves to feel like a princess. How about this Rhinestone Headwrap?
- Add a belt. This will depend on the cut of the dress, but this kate spade belt is stunning.
- Add a masquerade mask. Of course, this won’t work for every occasion but they can work wonderfully at holiday parties.
- Add a trim. Add lace, fur or rhinestones to the hem of your dress. Send it out for alterations if you’re not handy with a needle.
- Wear a rhinestone (or diamond) cuff. Rhinestones can give as much sparkle as diamonds, but diamonds are a girl’s best friend. I’m in love with the Balissima by EFFY, but it is a bit pricey.
- Choose a glittery clutch. Gold or silver, either one can really dress up that little black dress if they sparkle. This Jessica McClintock clutch is very affordable.
- Wear sparkly tights. Again this will depend on the dress but it can add glam to some outfits.
- Add a collar. A collar embellished with rhinestones, pearls or sequins can dress up almost any little black dress.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes you can feel beautiful at any age and any size. She shares healthy, realistic beauty and fashion information geared toward women over the age of 40. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.