Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re looking for stylish Indie fashions, keep reading for a few ideas on what Indie really means when it comes to style. Finding the latest styles in clothing is not always easy in small-town USA so I do much of my clothes shopping that way.
Stylish Indie Fashions
So, what are stylish Indie fashions? Indie is short for independent. And, Indie fashions tend to be a fashion that is out of the ordinary and non-corporate. That might mean alternative fashions or fashions that are purchased locally by small, independent artisans. They are unique pieces that are often one of a kind. And, they often use sustainable fabrics like hemp and organic cotton.
Finding Indie fashion brands
If you’re hoping to find Indie fashion brands online, a great place to start is Etsy. Or, you can check for vintage finds in your local thrift stores or boutiques. I always try to consign clothes that I no longer need. Consignment stores are a great place to find things to put together a unique look. If you’re looking for stylish Indie fashions that you might find at your local mall, check out places like Urban Outfitters.
What are Indie outfits?
Really stylish Indie fashions are all about what you make them. So, if that means overalls, leather boots, and an oversized white button-down shirt, then that works. If it means a short skirt and an oversized leather jacket, then that is fine too. Or, if it means sustainable fabrics and eco-friendly choices, you can do that as well.
Traditionally, Indie fashions will mix patterns and fabrics. They may have a formal blazer with a pair of ripped jeans. Or, it might mean a silk skirt with a denim jacket and an oversized black leather belt. Indie fashion is all about finding your own style and being true to yourself.
Indie fashion brands
Of course, the best place to find stylish Indie fashions will be at your local shops. But, if you don’t have those types of stores near you, you can find chic clothing online as well. A few of my favorite Indie fashion brands are:
- Everlane – They believe customers have a right to know how much their clothes cost to make. They reveal the true costs behind all of their products—from materials to labor to transportation—then offer them to you, minus the traditional retail markup.
- ABLE – ABLE is an ethical fashion brand that employs and empowers women as a solution to end poverty. They’re deeply devoted to quality – both in the products they make and the quality of life they aim to provide.
- Thought – Their story starts with friends David and John in the heat of Australia in 1995. And their desire to wear natural, cool clothing.
- Kotn – By working directly with cotton farming families in Egypt, they want to rebuild the industry from the inside. They make their own fabrics from raw cotton bought directly from farmers at guaranteed prices. Like farm-to-table, but for your clothes.
- Alternative Apparel – Their garments are crafted with sustainable materials & processes, including organic & recycled materials, low-impact dyes & water-conserving washes.
- Fashion to Figure (gorgeous plus size stylish Indie fashions)
What is boutique fashion?
Some people confuse boutique fashion with indie fashion. They really aren’t the same thing. Boutique fashion generally refers to upscale, more expensive pieces that are sold in small, trendy stores. While Indie fashions can certainly be sold in boutiques, not everything you find in a boutique will really be considered indie.
Love this outfit? You can find similar at these Indie fashion stores:
Or, you can shop on Amazon for similar pieces:
The next time you’re searching for stylish Indie fashions, I hope you’ll consider a few of the options I’ve suggested. But, above all, be yourself!
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes you can feel beautiful at any age and any size. She shares healthy, realistic beauty and fashion information geared toward women over the age of 40. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.