Last Updated on March 30, 2022 by Ellen Christian
You need these winter face care tips before it gets any colder outside! Winter is notoriously harsh on your skin. Chapped lips, cracked elbows, and dry itchy skin are common complaints. Dry, cold air is the cause. While I can’t stop winter from coming, there are a few things that I can do to help keep my skin soft and supple during the winter.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Winter Face Care Tips
While the cold can impact your skin in many ways, it’s primarily my face that I’m most concerned about. Even if I bundle up with hat, gloves, and a warm jacket, my face is still exposed to the cold air. Thankfully, with some simple skin care tips, you can stay ahead of the season and enjoy soft skin all winter long.
Products You Need to Follow These Winter Face Care Tips
SPF 30 Sunscreen – While the temperatures are cold and your skin is covered with long sleeves and pants, you can still get too much sun exposure. In fact, some of the worst sunburns occur in the winter. Make daily sunscreen part of your morning routine. Cover your face, chest, and even the backs of your hands with a sunscreen. Ideally, it will have an SPF of 30 or more.
Moisturizer with Sunscreen – Too many products on your face can feel heavy. Moisturizer is essential for almost all skin types. Combine your sunscreen and facial moisturizer. It’s a great way to protect your skin from the sun and keep it hydrated.
Post Shower Skin Care – Winters are notoriously dry. The cold temperatures seem to pull the moisture from the air and from your skin. One way to protect your skin is to apply a moisturizer to your body right after you towel off. It’ll keep your skin feeling soft all day long. My preference is a moisturizing shea butter.
Essential Oils – If you enjoy taking baths, consider adding essential oils to your bath. The oils will bind to your skin and help keep your body moisturized. There are oils designed specifically for the bath. They usually contain some grape seed oil combined with pleasant smelling oils like lavender, sandalwood, or citrus.
Winter Skin Care Routine
Your winter skin care routine doesn’t have to be complicated. The important thing is that you follow it regularly to be sure your skin is benefitting the most.
Morning Winter Skin Care Routine
- Cleanse your face with Dermae Hydrating Cleanser with Hyaluronic Acid to remove makeup and impurities while promoting a more visibly rejuvenated and hydrated complexion to be sure you’re removing impurities without stripping away all of the moisture from your skin.
- Apply your daytime moisturizer with SPF 30. This will lock in moisture and protect your skin from the sun in one step.
- Apply your favorite cosmetics.
Evening Winter Skin Care Routine
- Remove your cosmetics. Never go to bed without cleansing your skin. You can use the same cleanser as you did in the morning.
- Apply a hydrating night cream like Dermae Hydrating Night Cream with Hyaluronic Acid to reduce signs of aging while you sleep and wake up to soft, fresh feeling skin this winter season.
- Feet, elbows, and knees tend to become particularly dry during the winter months. Apply a heavy moisturizer to those areas before you go to bed. For your feet, you can apply a thick layer of cream and then put socks on. The socks will hold the moisture against your feet.
Winter Lip Care Routine
Wind, sun, and dry air can all work together to chap your lips. Chapped lips are not only a nuisance, they hurt. They can crack and bleed. Some chapsticks work better than others. Find a hydrating formula that works for you. The best lip treatments also have sunscreen in them for double protection. I like my homemade lip scrub the best.
Hot Wax Treatment
Paraffin hot wax treatments can turn dry, cracked hands into soft and supple hands. You can head to a spa to have the treatment. You can also purchase small paraffin wax units for personal use. The wax is usually sold separately but can be used several times. Simply melt the wax, cool to an appropriate temperature, and immerse your hand in the hot wax. You remove your hand from the wax, slip it into a plastic baggie or glove and wait. When the time is up, peel the wax off and enjoy your baby soft hands.
Winter doesn’t have to take a toll on your skin this year. Follow a few of these winter face care tips to get started. Protect, hydrate, and pamper the areas that are most susceptible to drying and chapping.
Want more winter posts?
Ellen believes you can feel beautiful at any age and size. She shares healthy beauty and fashion information geared toward women over 40. She is a direct sales rep for several fashion and beauty businesses.