Last Updated on December 29, 2017 by Ellen Christian
I’ve been looking for information about how to tie a scarf for beginners for a while now. I love wearing scarves, especially when the weather is cool, but I really don’t want a casual way to wear it that doesn’t involve multiple steps. Normally, I just wrap the ends around my neck and call it good enough. After organizing and decluttering my wardrobe, I found a few cute scarves that I forgot I had. I plan on wearing them this spring to celebrate. This post contains affiliate links.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Tie a Scarf for Beginners
One of the easiest ways to tie a scarf is to simply drape it over your shoulders. Depending on the scarf and the outfit, this method may be the simplest casual style to try. It works best for scarves that are not too long and with casual outfits.
If you have a scarf that is longer, you can easily wear it as an infinity scarf. Just follow these simple steps:
- Fold the scarf in half and tie the ends together to create a large loop.
- Hang the loop over your neck with the knot at the back.
- Twist the scarf up and over your head.
- Fluff and style carefully until the scarf looks like one fluid ring.
The Double Wrap is another simple scarf style that works for many outfits. Here’s how you can achieve this simple style:
- Begin with the scarf behind your neck and the ends draping in front of you.
- Cross the scarf in front of you and bring the ends behind your neck.
- Cross again, and return the ends of the scarf to the front.
- Fluff and adjust until the ends are even.
Oversized scarves can be worn as shawls by draping them over your shoulder and allowing them to cascade down your back. This style works wonderfully when you’re wearing a formal dress that is strapless or has an off the shoulder design. The scarf adds both style and warmth to your outfit.
Tying a square scarf can be a challenge for some. Thankfully, there is an easy way to wear this scarf that you can master in just a few minutes.
- Fold the scarf in half to make a triangle.
- Put the ends of the triangle behind your neck.
- Tie the ends in the back and tuck the knot under the scarf.
- If the scarf is very large, instead of tying the ends of the triangle behind your neck, you can bring them to the front and tuck them under the triangle.
If you would like to try something a bit more complicated than these simple beginner scarf styles, you can make a fun summer wrap by following the simple directions below. Just watch the picture and repeat the steps yourself. That would be such a cute style with a pair of denim shorts and a tank top this summer.
What’s your favorite way to wear a scarf?
Fun scarves to wear this summer:
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes you can feel beautiful at any age and any size. She shares healthy, realistic beauty and fashion information geared toward women over 40. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.