Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
As much as I love having my nails done at the salon, I just don’t always have time to run into the city. I’m picky about where I have my nails done. Not all salons are as clean as you think they are and you can get some awful infections if you aren’t careful. Thankfully, I’m getting pretty good about doing my nails at home.
Tips For Doing Your Nails At Home
Even though I’m doing my nails myself instead of at the salon, I want them to look like they’ve been done at the salon. I still want that experience and I still want my nails to look good when I’m done with them. Doing your nails is more than putting on a new coat of polish. I’m sharing the tips for doing your nails at home that I have been following. This will help you make sure that your nails not only look good but are healthy as well.
- Remove your nail polish completely.
- Cut or trim your nails and file the edges smooth.
- Buff your nails to smooth any ridges or splits.
- Soak the tips of your fingers in a bowl of warm water that you’ve added a gentle liquid soap to. This softens the cuticles.
- Trim your cuticles or apply a cuticle remover.
- Very gently push back your cuticles using a cuticle pusher.
- To whiten your nails, make a paste of 2 tbsp of baking soda and 1 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide. Apply to your nails. Leave on for 2 to 3 minutes and remove.
- Moisturize your hands and cuticles. I find that a jojoba oil or argan oil works very well. I also like Julep’s Hand and Cuticle Stick with shea butter.
- Using a body scrub on your hands helps keep them soft and smooth.
- Remove any excess oil from your nails with nail polish remover.
- Apply a base coat. Don’t skip this step. I really like Orly Manicure Keeper Ruberized Basecoat.
- Apply your nail polish in layers. Depending on the polish, you may need to apply one to three basecoats.
- If breakage is an issue for you, I recommend taking a supplement with biotin in it to help with your nail health.
- Using a nail dryer like the Professional Nail Dryer plus 6 piece manicure system by The Color Workshop.
Using the Professional Nail Dryer plus 6 piece manicure system by The Color Workshop can reduce dry time to up to 50%. This nail dryer comes with 6 nail polishes in a range of shades including nudes, glitters and brights. The Professional Nail Dryer plus 6 piece manicure system by The Color Workshop requires 4AA batteries (not included) and is a hand activated circulating air nail dryer. You can find this Professional Nail Dryer plus 6 piece manicure system by The Color Workshop at Walmart.
Product provided. This post contains affiliate links.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes you can feel beautiful at any age and any size. She shares healthy, realistic beauty and fashion information geared toward women over the age of 40. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.