Last Updated on December 29, 2017 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Learning how to get healthy nails will let you show off the latest colors while still protecting and caring for your nails. Our fingers are one of the first things that people see when we meet them. We reach out to shake their hand or open the door for them. We pick up our drink or pass them a file at a meeting. Not only is it important for our nails to look good, but it’s also important for them to be healthy.
How to Get Healthy Nails
Nails can become infected with bacteria, become brittle and crack or peel, or simply not look good when you don’t take care of them. These tips will show you how to get healthy nails so that they can look the very best that they can at all times.
- Moisturize your nails. Nails can become dry and rough when they lose moisture. Before bed, each night, rub a bit of lotion that contains Vitamin E into your nails so it can sit overnight.
- Wear gloves when gardening or doing housework. Your manicure will last much longer when you protect it. You are less likely to chip or break a nail when you wear gloves. Household cleaners are also very harsh on your nails.
- If you are protecting your nail polish, make sure that you add a clear top coat over your polish. To make your polish last as long as possible, make sure that you reapply the top coat every few days.
- Always apply a base coat to your nails before applying the polish. Polish can be very damaging to your nails, and the base coat will help protect your nails from the polish.
- Never bite your nails or your cuticles. Not only will it make them very unattractive, but it can also cause an infection.
- Make sure that when you file your nails, you never do it right after a shower, bath or getting them wet. Your nails are softer and not as strong when they are wet.
- Treat yourself to a regular manicure. While I love going to the nail salon to have a manicure, you can do the same thing at home. You can find manicure kits at most drug stores.
- Smooth the edges of your nails with a nail file daily. That will prevent a tiny imperfection from snagging on your clothes and tearing your nail off.
- Make sure your diet is healthy. Foods like fish are excellent for your nails and help make them strong.
Do you have any tips on how to get healthy nails that I have forgotten?
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes you can feel beautiful at any age and any size. She shares healthy, realistic beauty and fashion information geared toward women over the age of 40. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.